There’s more than one way that you can participate in MAR Leadership. Due to the complexity of the problems facing the Mesoamerican Reef System, we seek to integrate diverse individuals and partner organizations from different sectors and disciplines to help us achieve our shared goal of conserving the MAR.
We want to collaborate with dedicated fellows with innovative projects; with strategic partners that have proven regional solutions that contribute to the development of the leadership abilities and strategic capacities of our fellows; and with donors that look to encourage a new generation of conservation leaders in the MAR.
Be a leader
>> Minimum requirements for participation
- Be a resident of the MAR Ecoregion (i.e., anywhere in Belize; within the Caribbean basin of Guatemala and Honduras; and the state of Quintana Roo, Mexico).
- Be at the early- to mid-career level.
- Have a positive attitude and ability to generate new ideas for problem-solving related to multifunctional marine reserves.
- Have a desire to be part of a group of select leaders and possess good to excellent social skills.
- Local recognition by one or more stakeholder groups.
- Verifiable commitment to conservation and sustainable resource use.
- Have new/innovative project idea(s) for incubation via MAR Leadership, provided they fall within the parameters described in the vision and general strategies described above.
- Formal support from your employer to apply and participate in the MAR Leadership Program, which includes authorization for you to commit around 60 days to program activities over 18 months (as described in the Time Commitment and Fellow Responsibilities clause).
- Have regular access to internet, which will facilitate your participation in information exchange activities and distance learning opportunities.
- Have basic computation abilities.
>> Desired Attributes
- Having a degree from a certified university is a desired attribute, but not required. Creativity, focus on results and commitment to excellence in one’s professional environment are the most important attributes that we seek in our fellows.
- Comprehension of and ability to write in English (or in Spanish, for our Belizean applicants) is also a desirable attribute.
NOTE: We strongly encourage community leaders to apply to our program.
Need more information? Contact us!
Be a strategic partner
>> I want to support the MAR Leadership Program as a strategic partner. How can I get involved?
The program relies on a network of regional and international experts that help us develop the capacities of our local leaders from Quintana Roo, Belize, Guatemala, and Honduras. The participation of new partners is always welcome. Please fill out the following secure contact form so that we can get in touch with you and talk about your interest in our program.
Be a donor
>> I’m an individual donor. How can I support MAR Leadership?
If you’re interested in supporting the MAR Leadership Program in achieving its conservation objectives, we invite you to make a donation (either one-time or recurring) through GlobalGiving. You will receive a tax-deductible donation receipt valid in the United States.
>> I am a representative of a foundation/governmental entity and I would like more information.
We invite you to contact us by filling out the following secure contact form: